CHICAGO—Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Division of Cultural Affairs and Particular Occasions (DCASE) at present introduced extra particulars for “Chicago In Tune” (August 19 – September 19), a brand new citywide pageant celebrating Chicago’s various and legendary music scene and the 2021 Yr of Chicago Music. This month of music will deliver collectively iconic neighborhood venues, presenting organizations and musicians from throughout the town to have fun all music genres and kinds — with tons of of free and ticketed occasions at dozens of venues. The pageant is a part of “Open Tradition” — only one part of the Mayor’s “Open Chicago” initiative to securely and totally reopen the town.
“Our metropolis is our music — heard and felt in each church, membership, park, dance corridor, bar, live performance venue and sidewalk in each nook of our metropolis,” mentioned Mayor Lightfoot. “I need to thank each Metropolis, arts, neighborhood and enterprise chief who partnered with us to Open Chicago throughout this Yr of Chicago Music — in addition to our very personal residents, whose diligence in following public well being steering has allowed our metropolis’s wealthy, various and legendary cultural scene to bounce again and change into extra resilient than ever earlier than.”
DCASE will current 4 particular evenings at Jay Pritzker Pavilion introduced by the Millennium Park Basis honoring music born and innovated in Chicago: Gospel music (September 3), Jazz (September 4), Home (September 11) and Blues (September 18) — detailed beneath. Different particular occasions and festivals throughout the town embody The Lyrical Lemonade Summer season Smash in Douglass Park (August 20–22), Ruido Fest in Union Park (August 20–22), Auris Presents: All Day I Dream (August 21), Auris Presents: BUILT IN CHICAGO (August 22), Chosen Few DJs at Kennedy-King School (August 28), ARC Music Competition in Union Park (September 4 & 5), Pitchfork Music Competition Chicago in Union Park (September 10–12) and Riot Fest in Douglass Park (September 17–19) — plus skilled growth workshops for musicians and a brand new “Music Lives Right here” public artwork initiative (detailed beneath). Beforehand introduced Metropolis-sponsored occasions embody Millennium Park summer season programming and neighborhood occasions reminiscent of Chicago SummerDance within the Parks; the brand new Home Metropolis collection; ¡Súbelo!, a celebration of Latinx music and tradition within the Pilsen neighborhood; and music at Maxwell Avenue Market.
“Chicago’s arts panorama has been devastated by the pandemic, however I’m excited to see our proficient musicians, music golf equipment, live performance halls and festivals come again to life and energize Chicago,” mentioned DCASE Commissioner Mark Kelly. “Throughout this 2021 Yr of Chicago Music, our Chicago In Tune pageant will emerge as a joyous month-long celebration of Chicago’s superb music scene. The humanities have suffered significantly, however tradition is coming again to Chicago — massive time.”
Free and ticketed occasions throughout Chicago in neighborhood golf equipment, live performance halls and past will embody: Hypnotic Brass Ensemble at The Promontory (August 19); Goodman Theatre presents Sones de México Ensemble’s “Zulema” in Chicago parks (August 19–21 and September 2); Water Colours with Junius Paul introduced by Jazz Institute of Chicago in Polk Bros Park at Navy Pier (August 20); Thomas Comerford at The Hideout (August 21); Bluegrass Brunch at Beat Kitchen (August 21 & 28, September 4, 11 & 18); Pete Galanis and Pals that includes Dave Herrero at Rosa’s Lounge (August 24); Ohmme with Ganser at Thalia Corridor (August 26); Child A Performing ‘OK Laptop’ in its entirety at Subterranean (August 28); Porchlight Music Theatre presents “Broadway in your Yard” at CYC-Sidney Epstein Youth Heart (August 28); Chicago Soul Jazz Collective that includes 2020 Esteemed Artist Award Winner Dee Alexander at Jazz Showcase (September 1 and 15); NEA Jazz Grasp Herbie Hancock opens the Symphony Heart Presents Jazz collection at Symphony Heart (September 2); DJ All of the Manner Kay at Ace Resort Chicago (September 2); 2021 Esteemed Artist Award Winner Billy Department and the Sons of Blues, Joey J. Saye Trio at Reggies (September 3); and Lyric Opera of Chicago presents Verdi’s “Macbeth” at Lyric Opera Home (September 17 and extra dates) — simply to call a couple of.
Venues, organizations and artists should submit Chicago In Tune occasions by visiting Do312.com/ChicagoInTune.
The general public will discover probably the most complete itemizing of occasions at Do312.com/ChicagoInTune — and occasion highlights in a pageant information inserted within the August 19 version of the Chicago Reader.
Following are particulars for Chicago In Tune applications introduced or co-presented by DCASE.
“MUSIC LIVES HERE” HISTORICAL MARKERS AND RECORD ROW CONCERT SERIES:
Music Lives Right here (MusicLivesHere.web site), a multi-media challenge by DCASE, Chicago graphic artwork studio Sonnenzimmer and Maya Chicken-Murphy of Chicago Cellular Makers, pays tribute to the areas, locations and those that have formed Chicago’s music panorama, previous and current. Launching on August 29, Music Lives Right here will take the type of distinctive graphic sidewalk markers put in at 50 websites throughout Chicago, an accompanying web site to offer an additional window into the background of every web site, a print publication and pop-up performances.
The challenge’s accompanying Music Lives Right here: Document Row Live performance Sequence will embody outside performances in Willie Dixon’s Blues Backyard and excursions of Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Basis (2120 S. Michigan Ave.). Occasions are 12–8:30pm with particular musical tributes at 6–8:30pm that includes Joe Pratt and The Supply One Band (August 29), Sheryl Youngblood (September 5), Vino Louden Band (September 12) and a John Primer duo efficiency (September 19).
Historic markers alongside Chicago’s iconic Document Row will embody Chess Data (2120 S. Michigan Ave. and 320 E. twenty first St.), Constellation Data (1421 S. Michigan Ave.), Jerry Butler’s Songwriters Works (1402 S. Michigan Ave.), One-derful Data (1827 S. Michigan Ave.) and Vee-jay Data and Brunswick Data (1449 S. Michigan Ave.).
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM SERIES:
DCASE’s Skilled Improvement Program Sequence has been restructured in response to the crucial wants of the inventive neighborhood. It now goals to help free applications that improve entry to coaching, training and alternatives for rising artists and small companies. In 2021, grants have been awarded to 23 skilled growth suppliers. Occasions throughout Chicago in Tune embody:
- August 19 at 6pm, August 21 at 2–4:30pm, August 28 at 12pm, August 30 at 3pm, August 31 at 3pm and September 4 at 2pm: Thoughts, Physique, Soul and Music: Musician Seminars — introduced by South Facet Jazz Coalition (SouthSideJazzCoalition.org)
- August 21 at 3–9pm: Nonetheless Rising: A Discussion board for Queer Girls DJs, Producers and Their Allies — introduced by Lora Department (LoraBranch.com)
- September 9 at 7pm: What You Must Know About Releasing Music — introduced by Subsequent Showcase Chicago (NextShowcaseUSA.com)
- September 14 at 7–8:30pm: Membership Artistic — introduced by 2112/Heart for Artistic Entrepreneurship (2112inc.com)
MILLENNIUM PARK SUMMER PROGRAMMING:
As a part of Chicago In Tune, DCASE will current new and reimagined applications instead of this 12 months’s Gospel music, Jazz, Home, and Blues festivals in Millennium Park. 4 particular evenings at Jay Pritzker Pavilion will honor music born and innovated in Chicago, introduced by the Millennium Park Basis: Gospel music (September 3), Jazz (September 4), Home (September 11) and Blues (September 18) — all at 5:30–8:30pm. The September 3 Gospel music occasion — hosted by Jonathan McReynolds and Inspiration 1390’s Sonya Blakely and DeAndre Patterson — will characteristic LaShon Brown; a celebratory music tribute to Rev. Dr. Clay Evans, Pastor Maceo Woods, and ArchBishop Lucius Corridor that includes The Carson Sisters, Nicole Harris, and Illiana Torres; and The Tommies Reunion Choir. The Jazz occasion on September 4 is introduced with the Jazz Institute of Chicago and options Ari Brown, Marquis Hill, and Lizz Wright. The September 11 Home music celebration will characteristic “Sanitize Your Soul,” a debut Gospel Home Choir collaboration between Mark Hubbard and DJ Terry Hunter. And the Blues occasion on September 18 is a celebration of the fiftieth Anniversary of Alligator Data with Lil’ Ed & The Blues Imperials, Nick Moss Band that includes Dennis Gruenling, Money Field Kings with particular friends, Shemekia Copeland, Billy Department, and Wayne Baker Brooks.
Millennium Park summer season programming — made attainable partially by the Millennium Park Basis — may also embody 10 genre-defying concert events on the iconic Jay Pritzker Pavilion as a part of the Millennium Park Summer season Music Sequence (Mondays, August 2 – September 13 at 6–8:30pm, and Thursdays, September 2–16 at 6– 8:30pm, MillenniumPark.org). This 12 months’s collection is placing Chicago on stage — aligned with the Metropolis’s artist aid efforts and that includes an almost all-Chicago lineup crammed with debuts, new works, commissions and particular collaborations. The collection can also be co-curated with a various group of Chicago venues, organizations and artists. Occasions throughout Chicago in Tune:
- August 23: Preservation of Fireplace with Pure Info Society + Drum Divas. Co-Curated with Alejandro Ayala aka King Hippo
- August 30: Afrodjia Social Membership + Proximity | Underground artwork cool meets nightlife in an experiential multidisciplinary efficiency by DJ Sadie Woods and mates, exploring traditions of spacemaking via diasporic music and tradition + The Silver Room and Join Gallery current Proximity — a sonic research of time and area and its relationship to affect that includes bassist Micah Collier & Electec.
- September 2: Zulema | On a spectacular musical journey of many 1000’s of miles — from her Chiapas dwelling in Mexico to Chicago — younger Zulema zig zags via the culturally various landscapes of her homeland and our truthful metropolis alongside the way in which. Exhilarating regional music and dance from the Grammy-nominated Sones de México Ensemble make a joyous occasion for the entire household.
- September 6: Up to date Indigenous Voices feat. Leonard Sumner, Lyla June and Tall Paul | Representing totally different nations from the U.S. and Canada, these modern Indigenous performers re-imagine what is feasible for Indigenous music with a one-of-a-kind efficiency rooted in cultures and artistry which might be older than America; co-curated with artist Frank Waln.
- September 9: CIVL Summer season Live performance feat. Neal Francis and band with particular visitor headliner TBA | This CIVL (Chicago Unbiased Venue League) summer season live performance at Millennium Park goals to showcase various native expertise showing on varied levels round Chicago on any given evening. Particular visitor collaborations will mix native acts, hardly ever on stage collectively, to create multi-sensory, unique works.
- September 13: Angel Meléndez & the 911 Mambo Orchestra — Homenaje a la Salsa Boricua de Chicago | Angel Melendez is a Grammy-nominated Chicago composer, arranger, teacher and trombonist. Impressed by Chicago document label Numero Group’s 2011 launch of “Cult Cargo: La Salsa Boricua de Chicago,” this particular DCASE fee pays homage to the golden period of Chicago’s rising Salsa scene of the late 60s and 70s with new preparations and that includes many unique musicians from the interval.
- September 16: Grammy Legacies — Eighth Blackbird with particular friends TBA | The Chicago Chapter of the Recording Academy celebrates 60 years of supporting Chicago musicians; starring Eighth Blackbird with particular friends to be introduced.
The 2021 season of Grant Park Music Competition will characteristic 21 classical music concert events on the iconic Jay Pritzker Pavilion — together with (throughout Chicago In Tune) Mozart Violin Concerto No. 3 (Friday, August 20 & Saturday, August 21 at 6:30–8 p.m., GPMF.org) that includes the Grant Park Orchestra and Refrain; Carlos Kalmar, conductor; Christopher Bell, refrain director; Vadim Gluzman, violin; and David Govertsen, bass-baritone.
Particular music occasions all through Millennium Park embody a free, outside occasion introduced by the Joan W. and Irving B. Harris Theater for Music and Dance (HarrisTheaterChicago.org): “INTERPLAY” curated with composer, trumpet participant, and multi-instrumentalist Sam Trump on the Harris Theater Rooftop (August 22). “Sonic Pavilion” (August and September, ESS.org) is a collection of sound installations commissioned by Experimental Sound Studio for the overhead trellis loudspeaker array on the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Compositions make the most of the complete floor of the trellis’s 60-channel system, leading to an immersive cover of sound — a fluid sonic structure that bridges the main focus of a reside efficiency and the majesty of the encircling cityscape.
Particular music occasions on the Jay Pritzker Pavilion throughout Chicago In Tune embody “Baroque within the Park” introduced by Music of the Baroque (September 10 at 6:30–8pm, Baroque.org).
This summer season, DCASE and the Millennium Park Basis are happy to current two movies in Millennium Park, on its state- of-the-art, 40-foot LED display — together with (throughout Chicago In Tune) “The Wiz” (1978, G) on Tuesday, August 24 at 6pm. Rained out when it was screened as a part of the 2019 Summer season Movie Sequence, this American musical journey fantasy is introduced to have fun the 2021 Yr of Chicago Music.
Chicago SummerDance within the Parks (ChicagoSummerDance.org) returns this summer season, introduced with the Chicago Park District. Dancers of all ages and ability ranges are invited to participate in household and artistic actions from 4:30–5:30pm and introductory dance classes by skilled instructors adopted by reside music and dancing from 5:30–7:30pm besides the place famous. Occasions throughout Chicago in Tune:
- August 25: Steppin’ at Ogden Park (6500 S. Racine Ave.) that includes DJ Mellow Khris, dance instruction by Majestic Gents
- September 1: Line Dancing at Palmer Park (201 E. 111th St.) that includes DJ Chico, dance instruction by Fre2Dance
- September 8: Cumbia at Davis Sq. Park (4430 S. Marshfield Ave.) that includes Quinto Imperio, dance instruction by Again of the Yards Neighborhood Council Ballet Folklorico — introduced with Again of the Yards Neighborhood Council
- September 12 (Observe the time: 1–6pm): Home at Rainbow Seashore Park (3111 E. 77th St.) that includes DJs Torin Edmond, Rae Chardonnay and DJ Kobe One Kenobi; hosted by Ronda Flowers and Dana Divine; dance instruction by Boogie McClarin — introduced as a part of the Home Metropolis collection
- September 15: Salsa at Portage Park (4100 N. Lengthy Ave.) that includes Chicago Latin Groove, dance instruction by Latin Avenue
Home Metropolis (ChicagoHouseMusicFestival.us) is a brand new, 10-part collection of free occasions popping up all through the summer season within the neighborhoods that helped create the Home music style over 35 years in the past. Occasions throughout Chicago in Tune:
- August 28 in Englewood (Kennedy-King School, 6301 S. Halsted St.), 12–7pm that includes Chosen Few DJs — introduced as a part of the Shield Chicago Music Sequence | Please be aware: This occasion is open solely to Chicago residents age 18 and up who’re totally vaccinated by August 14.
- August 29 in Lakeview (3737 N. Clark St.), 3–9pm with DJs Derrick Carter, Dj Heather, Michael Serafini, Celeste Alexander, Garrett David and extra — introduced in partnership with SmartBar & Gramaphone Data
- September 12 in South Shore (Rainbow Seashore Park, 3111 E. 77th St.), 1–6pm with DJs Torin Edmond, Rae Chardonnay and DJ Kobe One Kenobi; hosted by Ronda Flowers and Dana Divine; dance instruction with Boogie McClarin — introduced as a part of Chicago SummerDance within the Parks
- September 19 in Bronzeville (location TBA), 3–9pm with DJs Mike Dunn, Daryll Mellowman and JStar; hosted by TheWayWeWere — introduced in partnership with Renaissance
¡Súbelo! (WorldMusicFestivalChicago.org) is September 4 within the Pilsen neighborhood — a celebration of Latinx music and tradition; lineup TBA.
Chicago Metropolis Markets (ChicagoCityMarkets.us) introduced by Humana embody the historic Maxwell Avenue Market (MaxwellStreetMarket.us) on 1st and third Sundays at 9am–3pm with a particular Jazz Music Celebration that includes James Sanders & Conjunto on September 5 and a particular Blues Music Celebration with Low-Reen & the Maxwell Avenue Market Blues Band on September 19.
DCASE programming is supported by the Chicago Transit Authority.
YEAR OF CHICAGO MUSIC + MUSIC IN THE KEY OF CHICAGO:
In partnership with Select Chicago and advertising and marketing company FCB, Chicago has unveiled its first ever music model, “Music within the Key of Chicago.” Leveraging this new model positioning, Select Chicago is launching a significant regional and nationwide advertising and marketing marketing campaign. DCASE and the native music business are growing a neighborhood consciousness marketing campaign that features digital billboards, promoting on CTA trains and busses, promoting at O’Hare, radio, neighborhood and minority-owned media and extra.
The Yr of Chicago Music is co-chaired by Commissioner Mark Kelly alongside Margaret Murphy-Webb, Juan Díes, Juan Teague and Che “Rhymefest” Smith. The bold effort is led by a steering committee, an intergovernmental group and 12 working teams centered on venues and golf equipment, festivals and particular occasions, youth and training, fairness and variety, advertising and marketing and extra. Over 200 people have volunteered to serve on these working teams and committees, representing greater than 150 music organizations, entrepreneurs and particular person artists. DCASE has supported over 80 music organizations granting greater than $1 million generally working and challenge help — and supplied over $500,000 in particular person grants to 130 artists in 2020 and 2021. For updates, go to Chicago.gov/Music and YearofChicagoMusic.org and be part of the dialog on social media utilizing #YearofChicagoMusic and #ChicagoInTune.
The 2020/2021 Yr of Chicago Music follows the success of the Metropolis’s 2017, 2018 and 2019 initiatives, which highlighted Chicago’s public artwork, inventive youth and its vibrant theatre scene. This 12 months’s mission is to position a highlight on Chicago’s music panorama — some of the influential and dynamic musical sectors on the globe — highlighting its legacy, increasing its viewers and strengthening the sector.
# # #
Discover to Media
Obtain Millennium Park Summer season Music Sequence images: https://bit.ly/2UvvB2W
Different DCASE occasion, venue and artist images can be found upon request.
To use for media credentials for Chicago In Tune concert events on the Jay Pritzker Pavilion, Millennium Park Summer season Music Sequence concert events or different DCASE occasions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request media credentials or images for all different occasions, please contact the occasion organizer or venue.
Chicago Division of Cultural Affairs and Particular Occasions
The Division of Cultural Affairs and Particular Occasions (DCASE) is devoted to enriching Chicago’s creative vitality and cultural vibrancy. This consists of fostering the event of Chicago’s non-profit arts sector, impartial working artists and for-profit arts companies; offering a framework to information the Metropolis’s future cultural and financial development, through the Chicago Cultural Plan; advertising and marketing the Metropolis’s cultural belongings to a worldwide viewers; and presenting high-quality, free and inexpensive cultural applications for residents and guests. For extra info, go to chicago.gov/dcase.